Friday, August 13, 2010

Dream Pizza

A few weeks ago I woke up and was like whoa. I just made a pizza in my mind and it was awesome. So over the past couple weeks I kept tweaking the recipe in my head and here is what I came up with. I am not going to say it was the best pizza ever or my favorite pizza ever its simply called Dream because it came to me in a dream.

Started off by cutting some chicken breasts into bite sized cubes. I cooked these in a pan with some balsamic vinaigrette dressing. While this was cooking off I took a package of whole wheat biscuit dough and rolled it out in a size for the pan. In the past when I've made pizza using the store bought dough it hasn't been very flavorful. I know I could make dough from scratch, but who has the time for that. To try and flavor it I brushed it with olive oil and then sprinkled minced garlic, basil, oregano, and parmesan cheese on top. I was trying to make it focaccia like. And damn I just realized that I should have added some rosemary. Next time.

So I spread the chicken evenly over the dough. To Holly's half I added mushrooms, to mine I added kalamata olives. Then artichoke heart pieces to everything and some tomato and basil feta cheese. Drizzled it all with balsamic vinegar and threw it in the oven for about twenty minutes.

The pizza came out looking great, but got mixed reviews taste wise. The crust wasn't cooked before toppings were added so it came out not very focaccia like. Also the seasonings that I had added to the crust ended up getting a bit lost with the toppings and didn't add much flavor to the crust. I think what I may need to next time is mix a ton of spices into the dough itself so that it ends up tasting delicious and not like a bland biscuit flavored pizza dough. Toppings on the pizza came out well. The complemented each other nicely and I don't think I would change much to it. And it certainly lived up to its expectations that I mentioned in my dream. Not the best or favorite, but hits a ton of different flavors I was looking to combine.

If you've never made pizza at home it is really a great thing to do. You get a lot for a little amount of money and can be creative as you want. Taco meat and aspargus? Sure. Kit kat and bacon for seconds? Its your house no one will judge you (actually kit kats and bacon are a great combo by them self, just not sure how to incorporate it into a pizza). So have fun with it and if you figure out a good way to make the crust I'd love to hear about it.

No comments: